As life goes by, I have realised that we are what we do everyday matter. Self- improvement does not happen at once- It is a step we take every day. And over time, it builds into sustainable habits. Therefore, here is a list of helpful pointers I have discovered that can improve your quality of life;
1. The more you give (time, money, resources, love, forgiveness, kindness, Grace, patience etc) to others, the more you get back. Give and it shall be given unto you, good measures pressed down, shaken together and running over.’
2. Be a solution provider and opportunities would flock to you
3. I am learning to keep an open mind. To be able to learn from people I disagree with. To understand the ’why’ behind their perspective. There are a couple of absolute truth for me like Jesus died on the cross for me and He is my Lord and personal Saviour. That is not debatable but some other conceptions can evolve.
4. I am starting to pay better attention to people. I remember names, place of origin and other little significant details.
5. I am being more intentional with care. At least I try to call my parents every other day and keep in touch with my siblings daily.
6. Pay compliments to random people. A while ago before the lockdown, I met a lady in an elevator looking forlorn so I quickly scanned her and saw she had really beautiful curves and legs and I don’t hesitate to tell her. It made her smile. I don’t know the burden that might have made her weary but at last, I have planted a good seed for her to dwell on. So I scored a point there.
7. Worry less. You would feel more relaxed. Jesus, take the wheel’ is my motto. Nothing in life is worth worrying over. If worrying can change the situation then…
8. Take better responsibility: I don’t blame the traffic for getting to work late, I should have been up early or calculated better, I don’t blame someone else for my anger. They might have offended me but I choose to be offended or not. I make more improvements when I focus on me and how my actions affect me and people around me.
9. When angry, channel the energy into another productive channel. For example, I clean the house when I feel the adrenaline pumping. At the end of the day, I would not have the energy to sustain the anger.
10. Embrace your body as a whole. You don’t choose what to love and parts to hide. Love you just as God has made you. He makes no mistakes.
11. I run from the herd mentality. If the crowd is going one way, I go the opposite way.
12. Ignorance can cause you unnecessary pain. You endure things you can change. Always seek knowledge. Read. Read to improve. Learn a new thing. You can read at least a chapter of a book every day, Bible inclusive. podcast and audiobooks are also good alternatives.
13. Health is truly wealth. I am very particular about what I eat. In the absence of illness out of our control, My body depends on how much I take care of it. So it is good I think twice before i order the cheeseburger, I also try to eat less processed sugar, fried foods. No smoking. What is the point in consuming what won’t give the body any nourishment whatsoever?
14. I drink water often and mind my business.
15. Friendships cannot be forced. I don’t do forced relationships anymore. I love everyone with the love of God but sit only at tables I am invited to.
16. Life is too short so I don’t take it serious likewise eternity is too long, i am preparing for it too.
17. Find your voice. If you know the truth, hold on to it. People would likely hate you, criticise or try to stop you but it doesn’t matter. Hold fast.
18. Boldness would take you far.
19. Keep a journal – You become more mindful of day to day events. And little miracles or changes that escaped your notice would appear glaring once you start taking notes.
20. Love the people around you like it is their last day. Don’t hold back. Give care and kindness. It is a seed sown that would be highly rewarding.
21. Practise gratitude. It works magic on inner peace.
22. Spend quality time with your spouse/ Children. Those memories are priceless.
23. Happiness is not a destination. It is what we do and how we perceive where we are now.
24. Do one nice thing for yourself at least every week. It could be a foot rub, a massage, your favourite dish etc. Resist the temptation to put it off. You deserve it. Do it now.
25. Let your yes be yes and your no is no.
26. People-pleasing is an unpleasant place to be. It will end in steaming tears.
27. Bear no grudge. Bitterness erodes the sweetness of the soul.
28. Have boundaries and make people respect them. If you don’t look out for yourself, who would?
29. Discipline, not motivation gets work done.
30. Life is no smooth sail. We live in an imperfect world so there would be times we go down a sloppy train or struggle to navigate jagged areas. What happens to us do not matter as much as how we let it affect us and our takeaway from it.
31. Choose your battles wisely. It is not in your ability to fight but what you are fighting for.
What do you think about the tips? Feel free to add yours.
Until next time,
You are Loved💙💚💛
“For the Lord grants wisdom! From his mouth come knowledge and understanding. He grants a treasure of common sense to the honest. He is a shield to those who walk with integrity.”
Proverbs 2:6-7 NLT